With today predicted to be the hottest day on record this year, there's no denying that for some of us, it will be a struggle.
The NHS has issued some tips on how to cope in the hot weather...
- Shut windows and pull down the shades when it is hotter outside. If it's safe, open them for ventilation when it is cooler.
- Avoid the heat: stay out of the sun and don't go out between 11am and 3pm (the hottest part of the day) if you're vulnerable to the effects of heat.
- Keep rooms cool by using shades or reflective material outside the windows. If this isn't possible, use light-coloured curtains and keep them closed (metallic blinds and dark curtains can make the room hotter).
- Have cool baths or showers, and splash yourself with cool water.
- Drink cold drinks regularly, such as water and diluted fruit juice. Avoid excess alcohol, caffeine (tea, coffee and cola) or drinks high in sugar.
- Listen to alerts on the radio, TV and social media about keeping cool.
- Plan ahead to make sure you have enough supplies, such as food, water and any medications you need.
- Identify the coolest room in the house so you know where to go to keep cool.
- Wear loose, cool clothing, and a hat and sunglasses if you go outdoors.
- Check up on friends, relatives and neighbours who may be less able to look after themselves.
- Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle.
- Try to keep out of the sun between 11am-3pm.
If you're worried about yourself or a vulnerable neighbour, friend or relative, you can contact the local environmental health office at your local authority.
More news from Curry Rivel
The Big Summer Concert 2019St. Andrew's Church Saturday 20th July @ 7pmVoices, strings, organ and young soloistsSt. Andrew's Choir & Strings with the Benefice SingersWine, raffle Free Entry and retiring collection In aid of MindEach year in July a concert of very varied music is given by our local musicians, both as an opportunity to play and sing, but also to raise money for...
Welcome to the July edition of Sorted!We are keen to hear your ideas on anything you're doing to cut waste, raise reuse and help recycling across Somerset, so please do send in any top tips to share with other readers.In this month's issue:Simple ways to recycle plastics and do your bit for our oceansEasy-to-follow advice for safe summer barbequingTop tips to keep your next...
Apologies for lateness. Click to view and...
St Andrew's Church
St Andrews Church
URC Chapel, Wiltown
St Andrew's Church