With today predicted to be the hottest day on record this year, there's no denying that for some of us, it will be a struggle.
The NHS has issued some tips on how to cope in the hot weather...
- Shut windows and pull down the shades when it is hotter outside. If it's safe, open them for ventilation when it is cooler.
- Avoid the heat: stay out of the sun and don't go out between 11am and 3pm (the hottest part of the day) if you're vulnerable to the effects of heat.
- Keep rooms cool by using shades or reflective material outside the windows. If this isn't possible, use light-coloured curtains and keep them closed (metallic blinds and dark curtains can make the room hotter).
- Have cool baths or showers, and splash yourself with cool water.
- Drink cold drinks regularly, such as water and diluted fruit juice. Avoid excess alcohol, caffeine (tea, coffee and cola) or drinks high in sugar.
- Listen to alerts on the radio, TV and social media about keeping cool.
- Plan ahead to make sure you have enough supplies, such as food, water and any medications you need.
- Identify the coolest room in the house so you know where to go to keep cool.
- Wear loose, cool clothing, and a hat and sunglasses if you go outdoors.
- Check up on friends, relatives and neighbours who may be less able to look after themselves.
- Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle.
- Try to keep out of the sun between 11am-3pm.
If you're worried about yourself or a vulnerable neighbour, friend or relative, you can contact the local environmental health office at your local authority.
More news from Curry Rivel
The December Curry Rivel Parish Council Meeting will be held at the Village Hall, Thurs. 6th February 2020 at 7.30pm.This is a public meeting. Watch this space for the agenda, planning applications and minutes from the January...
Ever wondered what's happening in Curry Rivel especially what the local groups and societies have to offer? Have a look and download the calendar HERE to see the wide variety of activities planned for this month, next month and the rest of the year.For more information on the various groups and activities that are running in and...
Contacts: firstname.lastname@example.org, WebTel.01458 273085Lots of great trips to Bristol Hippodrome planned for 2020/2021. Two new additions are Dreamgirls and Strictly Ballroom. Full details at www.theatretrips.webeden.co.uk . Two other trips will run if there is enough demand; In August to Sunny Afternoon, featuring The Kinks music and a...
St Andrew's Church
URC Chapel, Wiltown
The Village Hall