Wheelie Bin Fires in Somerset
The fire service is warning people about the dangers of wheelie bins after a spate of fires in Somerset.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is asking residents and businesses to store all their bins out of sight to avoid them becoming a target for arsonists.
The fire service believes that a wheelie bin on fire outside a window or against a house can endanger the lives of people inside.
Arson is a serious crime and anyone convicted faces a length prison sentence and a significant fine. Furthermore, it comes with a financial impact as each time the fire service is called out it results in a significant cost to the taxpayer.
Don't let your bin become a target for arsonists
* Store all wheelie bins away, especially at night, to avoid them becoming a target for arsonists
* Only place your wheelie bin out on collection day and return it to your property as soon as possible after collection
* Whenever possible, wheelie bins should be stored securely behind locked gates
* Do not overfill your wheelie bins or leave loose rubbish around them
* Do not place hot items in the bin, for example: smoking materials, hot embers from coal/wood, hot ash, etc
* Do not store wheelie bins by windows or doors -- any fire in the bin could easily spread to your property
If anyone has any information about fires no matter how big or small please telephone crimestoppers on 0800 555111 where they can give details completely anonymously.
More news from Curry Rivel
CRiB plan to hold several plant sales this year and the first one will be Sat 28th March at the War Memorial 10.30am it will be the usual , Bring and Buy theme , or just come and buy.There will be tea, coffee and cake available, as well as plants and pots and, empty hanging baskets for sale . These plant sales were very popular last year , come along to meet us and have a chat , do a bit of...
Langport & District History SocietyA Coach Trip to visit The Mary RoseWed 20th May 2020Coach pick-up: Langport Town Car Park 8.30amCoach return: Leave Portsmouth 5pm; arrive Langport 7.15pmMembers £26.25 (ages 16-59), or £25.50 (age 60+)Non-members £29.25 (ages 16-59), or £28.50 (age 60+)To be...
U3A 28th Feb 2020 MeetingThe Splendid Isolation of Tristan da CunhaAn introduction to the island's wildlife, history and the way of life of it's people.Tristan da Cunha is the world's most isolated inhabited island, home to fewer than 250 islanders who are all farmers and rely on a flourishing fishing industry which provides their main...
St. Andrew's Church
St Martin's Church
URC Chapel, Wiltown