The fire service is warning people about the dangers of wheelie bins after a spate of fires in Somerset.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is asking residents and businesses to store all their bins out of sight to avoid them becoming a target for arsonists.
The fire service believes that a wheelie bin on fire outside a window or against a house can endanger the lives of people inside.
Arson is a serious crime and anyone convicted faces a length prison sentence and a significant fine. Furthermore, it comes with a financial impact as each time the fire service is called out it results in a significant cost to the taxpayer.
Don't let your bin become a target for arsonists
* Store all wheelie bins away, especially at night, to avoid them becoming a target for arsonists
* Only place your wheelie bin out on collection day and return it to your property as soon as possible after collection
* Whenever possible, wheelie bins should be stored securely behind locked gates
* Do not overfill your wheelie bins or leave loose rubbish around them
* Do not place hot items in the bin, for example: smoking materials, hot embers from coal/wood, hot ash, etc
* Do not store wheelie bins by windows or doors -- any fire in the bin could easily spread to your property
If anyone has any information about fires no matter how big or small please telephone crimestoppers on 0800 555111 where they can give details completely anonymously.