It's easy to confuse Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) with the winter blues but the degree of dysfunction is the determining factor. People with SAD suffer setbacks in their personal and professional relationships as they withdraw from family, friends and colleagues, their energy and concentration levels flag and they are significantly unhappier. But people with the winter blues tend to manage life's demands, albeit with difficulty. There are several steps we can take to improve things:
1. Recognise the problem. We may feel we have decreased energy, fatigue, want to sleep more or crave sweet things. Catch the symptoms early to combat it.
2. Get more light. Go for a walk on a sunny winter's day. Bringing more light into the home also helps, so make sure windows are clean and there is a light space to retreat to during dark winter days.
3. Invest in a light box. Getting a light fixture specifically designed for people with SAD can also help. The best boxes have florescent light bulbs behind a screen that filters out UV light and an illuminated area of a least one square foot.
4. Get up early & keep busy. And be sure to plan some treats for yourself such as a day trip or an evening out ... in fact anything to lift the spirits.
5. Get moving. Exercise does great things, especially if combined with bright light, so go for a walk in the morning.
6. Improve your diet. Avoid high-impact carbohydrates such as pure sugars or white starches. They may be tempting but they can lead to more cravings. Switch to low-impact carbohydrates such as unprocessed oats, legumes, almonds, walnuts and high-protein foods.
7. Talk to a professional. Self-help can only go so far. If your winter symptoms are proving particularly disruptive or you are very unhappy, then it's best to consult a doctor.
More news from Curry Rivel
Burton Pynsent Monument Charity Open DaySunday August 19th11:00 — 16:00Enjoy the rare opportunity to climb Burton Pynsent Monument whilst raising funds for Dorset and Somerset Air...
9th Annual 'Free' Play Event is on, the news of it's demise was false.15th Sept 2018, 1pm -- 5pm Curry Rivel Primary School Water Street EntranceActivities likely to include: Climbing Wall, Beat the Goalie/Speed Radar, Messy Play, Playdough, Arts & Crafts, Learning Through Play, Obstacle Course, Up & Over Slide, Hook the Duck, Coconut Shy, Outdoor Cooking Experience, Splat the...
Its summertime and all is relatively quiet in the District.As reported in the last newsletter Ric Pallister has resigned as leader of South Somerset District Council. I can now confirm he has been replaced by Val Keitch. Cllr Keitch is the Liberal Democrat representative for Ilminster Town and Area West chairman. She recognises the Council, in line with all local authorities, is facing very...
Drayton Village Hall
St Andrews Church
URC Church, Wiltown, TA10 0JF
Chatham Room, Village Hall