Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service have issued warnings and guidance about the risk of fires from glass or make-up mirrors that are kept in the sunshine
Every year Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service attends fires caused by the sun's rays focussing through or onto glass, and then setting fire to nearby objects.
Over the weekend two crews from Taunton attended a fire in a bedroom.
The fire investigation that followed has determined that the source of the fire was the sun shining through a window upon a magnifying mirror. The sun was magnified on to a cushion/pillow which eventually caused this to burn.
The bedroom was severely damaged by flame, heat and smoke and the rest of the flat was smoke damaged.
Paul Bray, Community Safety Protection manager for Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service said: 'Many people do not realise the dangers of leaving glass objects too close to windows. Anything that can concentrate the sun's ray should be moved away from the window to reduce the risk of fire breaking out, especially where the sun can shine directly into the room.
He went on to say: 'I have personally attended two fires caused by make-up mirrors, positioned on dressers, in bedrooms. One of these fires occurred in the early morning, with the sun shining through a south-easterly facing window, and the other occurred in the early evening, with the sun shining through a south westerly facing window. Both days were bright and sunny, but not hot.
"If any of your rooms are penetrated by bright sunlight, carry out a check to make sure any glass objects cannot re-focus the sunlight to create a fire."
Make the call to request free Home Safety advice call free on: now 0800 05 02 999. For any other fire safety advice, contact the Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue helpline on: 01392 872288 or visit our website www.dsfire.gov.uk.
More news from Curry Rivel
by Dorothy WadesdonEvery year at this time our gathering becomes a bit special because it is the time when the new President for the year takes office.In June our lovely Jane Warren stood down, after ceremoniously hanging the heavy chain of office on Angie Saunders shoulders. We presented Jane with the usual bouquet together with a tapestry of her initial and a photographic memoir of her...
by Dorothy WadesdonIn June we were fortunate to have the Nat West Bank Scam Awareness Advisor, Trudi Henderson to talk to us. Trudi was extremely informative about the numerous scams out there in the big wide world that affect us all at some time, because we all have computers, ipads, mobiles and landlines. All providing a good access to the unsuspecting victim! Thank you Trudi.We had...
Thanks to generous donations and pledges from Curry Rivel Live, Crewkerne Lions, Langport and Somerton Rotary and the generosity of 8 local people, we are approaching the figure of £500, almost halfway to the target of £1200.The picture shows Councillor Tony Greenaway receiving a kindly donated cheque for £100 from Ilminster & Crewkerne Lions Club member Simon Champion for the...
Chatham Room, Village Hall
Curry Rivel School Hall
Scout Hut in Bonds Pool, Langport