With today predicted to be the hottest day on record this year, there's no denying that for some of us, it will be a struggle.
The NHS has issued some tips on how to cope in the hot weather...
- Shut windows and pull down the shades when it is hotter outside. If it's safe, open them for ventilation when it is cooler.
- Avoid the heat: stay out of the sun and don't go out between 11am and 3pm (the hottest part of the day) if you're vulnerable to the effects of heat.
- Keep rooms cool by using shades or reflective material outside the windows. If this isn't possible, use light-coloured curtains and keep them closed (metallic blinds and dark curtains can make the room hotter).
- Have cool baths or showers, and splash yourself with cool water.
- Drink cold drinks regularly, such as water and diluted fruit juice. Avoid excess alcohol, caffeine (tea, coffee and cola) or drinks high in sugar.
- Listen to alerts on the radio, TV and social media about keeping cool.
- Plan ahead to make sure you have enough supplies, such as food, water and any medications you need.
- Identify the coolest room in the house so you know where to go to keep cool.
- Wear loose, cool clothing, and a hat and sunglasses if you go outdoors.
- Check up on friends, relatives and neighbours who may be less able to look after themselves.
- Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle.
- Try to keep out of the sun between 11am-3pm.
If you're worried about yourself or a vulnerable neighbour, friend or relative, you can contact the local environmental health office at your local authority.
More news from Curry Rivel
Village Hall AGMThe Village Hall AGM will be held on Monday 20th November at 7.30pm. All are welcome to the venue, which is the....... Village...
Santa at the BIG Breakfast17th Dec 20178.30am — 12:30pm, Village HallCome and have Breakfast with SANTA on Sunday 17th December for the Christmas BIG Breakfast at the Village Hall. Bring the whole family along to this great Community Christmas Event, from 8.30am till 12.30pm.Enjoy a freshly cooked breakfast, with Bacon, Sausages, and Eggs kindly supplied by Scrivens the...
Village Hall Curry Rivel
Scout Hut in Bonds Pool, Langport