Wheelie Bin Fires in Somerset
The fire service is warning people about the dangers of wheelie bins after a spate of fires in Somerset.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is asking residents and businesses to store all their bins out of sight to avoid them becoming a target for arsonists.
The fire service believes that a wheelie bin on fire outside a window or against a house can endanger the lives of people inside.
Arson is a serious crime and anyone convicted faces a length prison sentence and a significant fine. Furthermore, it comes with a financial impact as each time the fire service is called out it results in a significant cost to the taxpayer.
Don't let your bin become a target for arsonists
* Store all wheelie bins away, especially at night, to avoid them becoming a target for arsonists
* Only place your wheelie bin out on collection day and return it to your property as soon as possible after collection
* Whenever possible, wheelie bins should be stored securely behind locked gates
* Do not overfill your wheelie bins or leave loose rubbish around them
* Do not place hot items in the bin, for example: smoking materials, hot embers from coal/wood, hot ash, etc
* Do not store wheelie bins by windows or doors -- any fire in the bin could easily spread to your property
If anyone has any information about fires no matter how big or small please telephone crimestoppers on 0800 555111 where they can give details completely anonymously.
More news from Curry Rivel
In the early hours of the morning, Wednesday 10th January 2018, a Blowtorch Bandit attempted to rob the BP Garage/Post Office in Curry Rivel. The Bandit(s) did considerable damage to the door and attempted to raid the cigarette counter.Our Bungling Bandit(s) used a blowtorch, but came away with only three bottles of whiskey.If you have any information you should go to your nearest police...
So the SSDC Langport Community Support Office is gone, below is the response from the SSDC:'The Langport Community Office has now closed and the decision was taken by Councillors at the September Area North Committee meeting. The minutes of that particular item of the meeting and the decision taken can be found here -...
The Somerton U3A meeting, on Friday 26th Jan 2018, will be "Royal Naval Yarns from the Wardroom" by Commander J Holt.Monthly meetings take place on the fourth Friday of each month at the Edgar Community Hall, Somerton.10am start with coffee (30p) and chat. After any notices the main event begins at 10.30am and finishes by 12 noon...
Meet Village Green
The Angel, Bow St, Langport
Scout Hut in Bonds Pool, Langport